Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Free Spirits

You go with the squeal of gears, spinning
around the merry-go-round, up and down;
carnival music thrums your ears and you laugh
and reach for the shiny brass ring (three will get you
a free ride on the beast of your choice);
your long hair streams behind you
and your summer dress billows up, caught
in the lift and suck of passing wind...

Carousel Horses was the theme here, not hard to see that. Making these cards brought back some forgotten memories to me, and I can't help but feel sad that the carousels in my area have long since been torn down to make way for strip malls and parking lots. I've dashed off a quick, impromptu poem (my first in days) to try to explain how I felt when I rode the carousel many years ago. I've always had a soft spot for carousels, and always marveled; no, reveled, in the art and craftsmanship of each pole beast I've had the good fortune to meet.






2 Comments:

Blogger scavella said...

Cookie, these are great.

I haven't been to your blogs in ages, and checked in just tonight. Sorry to hear about your stepfather, and take care of yourself.

I noticed that this blog looked a little lonely, so I decided to post here.

But Cookie, get an RSS feed for your blogs, huh? (Settings-feeds-etc). My life is completely upside down and I'll never visit anything if I don't have the feeds telling me when there are new posts.

Cheers.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heya, Scavella! Thanks for taking pity! heh. I decided to seperate out my ATC creations - I'm really glad you like them! They've been keeping me busy in a good way, so I don't laspe into morose-ness and think about mom to the point of depression.

Pops has been keeping us busy, too, as you know. It's so sad, this whole situation I'm caught in right now, and exceedingly difficult to bear at times. But it will get better eventually, I keep telling myself to trust in that. And just knowing there are people like you out there who care enough to drop in now and then helps a lot, too. It always makes one feel better, to know they're cared about.

SO, RSS feeds, eh? Yeah, I know. and you're absolutely right. I got to get one going, just as soon as I have a minute to figure out how!! heh.

It's so ironic. Here I work in IT and have all this computer knowlege and training and I don't know didly squat about how to get me an RSS feed. heh. Well, as soon as I get a minute someday in the future, I will have to google it and teach myself how!

warm bests,
Cookie

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home